Action Photos
Harrow School 2nd XV vs  Bedford School
On: Thursday, 17 Nov 2016
Venue: Away

Short Report

Most complete performance of the season. Phenomenal defence. Two tries from catch and drive, one from 40metres!

Long Report

The large referee who may possibly have played prop many moons ago arrived late precipitating a delayed kick off. The boys were absolutely raring to go for this one and refused to be put off by the delayed KO.

They began with intent and put themselves in the other teams half. But Bedford hit back.

Despite pressure the Harrow defense held and won a penalty.

Miller booted to touch from a difficult position in the middle of the pitch. He hit somewhere between the opposition 10 and 22 metre lines. Fabian grouped the huddle like a bunch of spies on a covert operation. Seconds later the ball was secured in the air and brought down and the operation became very overt. The Harrow pack rampaged all the way to the line! There was no cynics pulling down of the maul or man sacrificing himself on the ground from Bedford (to their credit and/or naivety).

They struck back fairly swiftly after playing phase upon phase of rugby. There style was fluid with some rapid rucks and several backs with superb steps. During their phase play they constantly reversed the play working both sides of the ruck hard. Harrow were generally aware and alert to this with Dickson-Tettah screaming out for numbers on his flank. But the continuity was relentless and in the end irresistible.

With the score tied at 7-7 and Harrow's defense sponge-like in soaking up huge amounts of pressure they attacked from deep with Miller who released Dobree who then put in Dickson-Tettah just beyond halfway. The 'Phoenix' as he is sometimes known rose from the ashes and sprinted down the wing breaking three tackles and leaving Bedford defenders in his wake. His try was his last act of the game.

During the second half Bedford came out fighting but like Ali on the ropes Harrow soaked up all the punches.

A penalty to the corner allowed Stan his second try of the game as the catch and drive proved lethal once again.

Bedford had cottoned on to this a couple of times and won a scrum and then a penalty by not committing and therefore not making a maul out of it causing Harrow to make a meal out of it. Good use and knowledge of the laws there. The game remained tight and on the day that the Bedford 1st XV made the final of the national cup Harrow put their second team (who were somewhat undeserving) to the sword in the last ten.

Captain Roberts who was excellent again executed a 4v2 nicely running with pace and purpose.

The last try was one of the oddest I've seen where a Bedford kick (one of the very few of the game) was kicked by E.Revill and subsequently caught by Dobree who got his second assist of the game by feeding it straight back to E.Revill who ran down the wing fending three or more defenders aggressively to score in the corner and really put the nail in the coffin. His brother H.Revill had an excellent game organising, tackling aggressively and boxing his side into good position. The whole back row (Dobree, Umana and Hutley) were excellent. However MOM was Gray who was superb in the lineout and hit innumerable rucks and made several crucial turnovers and essentially did a lot of the dirty work needed to win in what was the best all around performance of the season. Happy coach and happy players. A scoreline that doesn't reflect how tight this one was.